As you all know, Cranky Dorkfest LAX is a time-honored tradition with very little organization to it. You just show up, have an In-N-Out burger right by LAX, talk shop, and watch gigantic airplanes touch down on runway 24R. That isn’t changing this year when it happens on Saturday, September 7, but there are a couple of additional events that I’m adding… as if you needed even more of a reason to attend.
What’s new? There’s going to be an airfield tour in the morning, and then later in the day I’m putting together a small event at the airport. Details are still coming together, but here’s what I know so far.
An Airfield Tour for the Early Birds
This year, Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA, which runs LAX) is joining the festivities. We went back and forth trying to figure out the best way to get the airport involved, and we can to a conclusion: We’re going to do an airfield tour before the main event begins. Here is as much of the plan as we know so far.
- What: An airfield bus tour at LAX courtesy of LAWA
- When: Saturday, Sept 7, 9 or 9:30am
- Where: We’ll probably start from the Flight Path Museum (6661 Imperial Hwy, Los Angeles, CA 90045), but it’s not set in stone. I’m working on figuring out if we can arrange transport between there and In-N-Out for those without a car.
- Why: If you have to ask, this isn’t for you
- How: TBD, but see below
There will obviously be a maximum number of people who can do this, but I’m still waiting on those numbers. Since you’ll be on the airfield, we will need to get names, birthdates, etc in advance so they can run you through screening. You also can’t bring bags with you, so there are logistics involved. I’ll let you know when those are ironed out.
When the time comes, I’ll post a link on the blog. You will have to RSVP with all your details, and it will be first-come, first-served. There will NOT be any cost to attend this.
The Main Event
As always, the main event will begin at the park across from In-N-Out on Sepulveda at 11am. This one is set in stone.
- What: Eat burgers, talk shop, watch airplanes, maybe get swag
- When: Saturday, Sept 7, 11am to 1pm, though I’ve never left that early
- Where: The park across from the In-N-Out Burger at 9149 S Sepulveda Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045
- Why: See “What” if you need a reason
- How: If you have a car, drive. If you are a member of the Parking Spot Club, you can take their bus. You can also walk, and Google will show you how.
If the airlines still want to contribute models and other goodies, there will again be a raffle this year. It will remain the same as in all previous years where you get one ticket at the event. Unlike the DFW event from earlier this year, raffle tickets won’t be sold. This will be just like all the previous LAX events.
A Tentative Exclusive Evening Event
I had hoped to have more info on this before I posted, but I don’t. So I’m going to leave you with some mystery. I am working on an incredibly unique evening event that would be very small, maybe 10 to 12 people at most. This wouldn’t be free — it would either have a set price or I might auction the spots off. It would be at the airport if it all comes together. Consider this a teaser. If it happens, you’ll find out here, and you’ll want to try for one of those coveted spots.